“Perfume is the most intense form of memory” Jean Paul Guerlain
Do you often feel nostalgic when you’ve smelt a certain fragrance or a scent?
There are so many different perfumes that either remind us of a certain person, event, holiday, mood, a moment in time.. and so much more.. Aah the list is endless.
So what exactly is the deal with perfume and memory? It’s been widely accepted that the sense of smell is closely linked with memory. It is no wonder why then that the Perfume industry is built around this idea. Perfume really sets the mood and what better way to express yourself than with the help of a scent.
So in honour of the month of love, I have listed my favourite scents below. They do keep changing (according to seasons) but these ones have been my constant companions and very much loved by me.
So without further ado, let’s get right into it..
1) Issey Miyake – the perfume called “L’eau D’issey” features a bottle based on the view of the Eiffel Tower from an apartment window.
L’eau D’issey is an aquatic floral sent with transparent notes of lotus, freesia, cyclamen and juicy melon. The middle note of peony, lily and carnation reveals the perfumes character. The end note is a refined woody scent with the notes of cedar, sandal, mush and amber.
Verdict: I have been using this perfume for a while now, I absolutely love it. It can be a little overpowering for some but it’s great for occasions where you really need that power and oomph.. It’s almost like the red lipstick of beauty, wear it when you want to feel powerful, strong and in control. I give it ❤️❤️❤️❤️ (4/5)
2) J’adore (Dior) – is a modern glamorous fragrance, which has been incredibly popular. J’adore is a luminous fragrance. Its opulent, golden scent shimmers in skin like sunbeams. The classic and ambitions of this fragrance reflects in the bottle shaped like Greek amphora.
J’adore is sweet but balmy, slightly sharp floral with fresh mandarin in the top, jasmine, plum, orchid and rose in the heart, amaranth musk and blackberry in the trail.
Verdict: I’ve been using this since I can remember. Even if I don’t use it on a regular basis, it’s a staple item for my perfume shelf. I adore the body lotion (often in the gift set) as it gives off a hint of shimmer and makes you feel like a goddess. The bottle shape is divine! I give it ❤️❤️❤️❤️ (4/5)
3) The One (D&G) – is a fragrance with “character”, special and alluring. It’s oriental, floral-fruity composition is very warm and sensual with powdery vanilla trace.
The composition opens with softly fresh mandarin, bergamot, litchi and peach. The heart is thin and balmy, with the notes of jasmine, lily of the valley and white lily which graciously intertwine with the fruity touch of plum. The woodsy-powdery base is created of vetiver root, amber, musk and vanilla.
Verdict: I’ve never tried any other Dolce & Gabanna perfumes before but this one is literally the “one” for me (No pun intended!). I immediately fell in love with it, I’ve still got the roller ball left which I use sparingly. It’s such a sensual seductive smell and has to be one of my fave perfumes. I give it ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ (5/5)
4) Aura (Swarovski) – has high notes with shades of litchi fruit elements combined with floral notes of roses. In the heart of the fragrance is tuberose that emphasises feminity, while the pink pepper tickles the imagination from the base notes, together with amber, benzoin and white musk.
The bottles are crafted in a combination of glass and metal, cylindrical in shape and topped with asymmetrical Swarovski crystals. The liquid contained inside the elegant bottle is pink!
Verdict: I don’t think I would ever have come across this perfume had I not been working for Swarovski. I remember us girlies at Swarovski getting very excited when we received these bottles. I was given a tester bottle and have fallen in love with it since. Even the tiny tester bottle has crystals on it. The liquid is pink so even more reason to love it. I would recommend highly. I give it ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ (5/5)
5) Narciso Rodrigues (EDP) – this is a warm, very feminine scent. Top notes are rose and peach. At the heart is amber and musk. The base consists of patchouli and sandalwood. It excudes seduction yet maintains a hypnotic presence.
Verdict: Well what can I say that hasn’t been said already about this perfume. This fragrance is my signature scent, I keep going back to it again and again. It really is my guilty pleasure. I was lucky to have received a 75 ml bottle from my mum for my birthday just before coming to Spain, hopefully that’ll last me a while (not for long if my usage is anything to go by with) 😬 I give it ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ (5/5)
So there you have it, my current perfumes and what I think of them. I sense, judging by the breakdown of the scents that I seem to love deep, hypnotic, seductive smells! 😍
If you have any recommendations based on my collection, then please do let me know. I’d love to hear and try out others that are quite similar (or even not)! 🙃
Until next time, spread the love xx